Giving Thanks for a Great November

As we approach the end of November, and the holidays right around the corner, this is a great day for me to reflect and give thanks to everyone for what turned out to be an outstanding November.

First off, thank you everyone who donated during the month of November.  In total, we raised $5,225 during the month -- crushing our top target of $2,500 on behalf of #teammckinney.  I was incredibly pleased to make a matching contribution of $2,500 on behalf of Sheryl McKinney to the Sarcoma Foundation of America.  And even though the monthly fundraising blitz is over, the work on behalf of #teammckinney will continue in partnership with others -- for that, I'm very thankful.

The strong fundraising month puts us just over halfway to our overall goal of $15,000... and we still have about five months to go.  If you want to cue up your inner Bon Jovi ("oooooooh.... we're half way there...."), feel free to do so.

Also, I want to recognize Nalini Raju and Barry Roop, who were the winners of the initial fundraising contest.  They each received a $25 AMEX gift card... well, one did (Nalini told me to donate it back to the cause -- you're awesome Nalini!).  But be on the lookout for other fundraising efforts, particularly in the months of January / February.

Finally, thank you everyone who provided support for the physical aspects, e.g. the running, part of this campaign.  I'll post a separate full page on the Atlanta Half Marathon shortly, but for a race where I wasn't really training up to run a PR, I ran a 2:07:30, just 3 seconds slower than my personal best for a half.  And I felt great doing it!  Gives me a ton of confidence that come Marathon Monday, it will be a great run with the amount of "hay in the barn" (as our coach Jack Fultz would say) that I'm putting in.

Today marks the last of the post-half rest period (you can't work your body into the ground, particularly at my age!).  But tomorrow begins the ramp up training towards Boston, with a couple of timed races (Hot Chocolate 15K, Georgia Half Marathon) along the way.  For those who live in Atlanta, I'm also working on a couple of pub nights in early 2018 for y'all to come out, have some food and drink, enjoys some laughs and music, all as part of the cause.  More details to come on these once they are firmed up, and I hope to see y'all out there.

I know my Mom is looking down on all of this with very proud smiles, showing that #teammargot as part of DFMC remains strong.  And I'm sure she's loving how we've expanded the cause to others to bring everyone together as one family.  I'm sure she, like me, is very thankful for all of you as we keep working towards the ultimate goal -- a world without cancer.

Comments

Popular Posts